Some of the most beautiful memories I had growing up were the meals I had at my favorite restaurant in Chicago, Mr.Zee’s. It is a Greek restaurant located on the corner of Irving Park and Narraganset. Now, living in a completely different state with no Greek restaurants around, I had to try and make my favorite chicken. It was definitely a success! Super flavorful! Recipe:
1 Small Cornish Hen
2 Medium Potatoes
1 Minced Garlic Clove
1 1/2 TBSP Oregano
1 TBSP Salt
3 TSP Lemon Pepper
3 TSP Cumin
1 Cup Water
1/4 Cup of Olive Oil
Juice of 5 Lemons
- In a large bowl, soak the chicken in the juice of 1 lemon and water.
- Let sit for at least 15 min, then wash and rinse with cold water.
- Cut off the edges of the wings, the bottom, then slice in half lengthwise.
- Set oven to 500ºF.
- Putting chicken into a oven safe pan, season with oregano, lemon pepper, salt and cumin, also adding in the remaining lemon juice, water and olive oil.
- Peel the two potatoes and cut up to your liking (I cut lengthwise) and throw into pan with chicken.
- Place them into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, pour out half of the “juice” from the pan and place back into the oven to cook at 350ºF for 45 minutes.
- Pour juice onto chicken when serving.
- Best served with rice