HEALTHY AND SIMPLE BAKED CHICKEN STICKS
Almost all of our meals consist of meat. Turkey, beef, lamb (rare occasions) and chicken. But mostly chicken. And lately, Rudeena has been turning it down. It’s funny because at this age, young toddlers begin to experiment with food. Whereas before, they put everything in their mouths without even blinking an eye. So now, she picks up her food, and looks at it very closely as she’s studying what she feels. She transfers it from one hand to the other, and does this over and over and over again, until she’s convinced she should put it in her mouth. And that is our struggle every night. Most of her food would end up on the floor around her high chair, and once it’s on the ground, there is no way around convincing her to eat it. If she goes in for that second bite, its’ guna be a good night! This recipe came along as I was thinking of changing chicken so she doesn’t know it’s chicken. So I figured she’s probably not liking the texture, and quickly thought of grinding chicken breast. Thankfully, it was a success and she ate it! Yay! Follow the recipe below with directions. Although this recipe may need a little bit of work, it only needs a few ingredients!
Total- 1hr 15min
3 LBS Ground Chicken Breast
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
2 TBSP Milk
2 TSP Salt
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
2 TSP Ground Cumin
2 Cups Flour
2 Cups Bread Crumbs
Coconut Oil Spray
- Before preparing, set oven to 400 degrees F.
- Begin by cutting up washed and dried chicken breast into medium sized cubes.
- In a food processor, add a handful of chicken and process until there are no large chunks.
- After grinding all the chicken, add olive oil, salt, garlic and cumin powder and coconut flour.
- Knead very well until everything comes together.
- In a bowl, crack two eggs, add milk and whisk. Pour onto a plate.
- In two different plates, add flour in one and breadcrumbs in the other.
- Spray oil onto a nonstick oven pan.
- With a large spoon, grab a spoonful of chicken and roll with your hands using a flat surface (I used a plastic chopping board) making long and 1/4 in. in diameter sticks.
- Dip the chicken stick into flour, eggs, then breadcrumbs (in this order) and place it on the pan
- Repeat until all chicken is used.
- After all the chicken sticks are on the pan, spray with oil then stick them in the oven at 400° for 15 minutes, then lower to 350° degrees for 30 min.
- After taking them out of the oven, transfer the chicken sticks onto a plate and cover right away (so they don’t become hard or too crunchy to eat) with a paper towel then aluminum foil.
- Serve with the Garlic and Mint Yogurt recipe.